<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> </head> <body>
1 year in seoul

aboutarchives


Thursday, January 3, 2013
Day 1 @ 12:11 AM

I am here and I still can't believe it.

Peter finished his 2-week crash course on teaching english
in english to people who speak no english,
and today is his first day of teaching!

It is FREEZING here.
14 degrees fahrenheit,
the streets are sludgy, there are patches of snow on the ground,
and it is windy, but it isn't snowing. I don't even know how many layers I'm wearing.

After Peter left for work and I finished unpacking, I headed out to find lunch.
Before long I found a porridge shop. Korean porridge is like thick, pasty soup with rice.
Upon entering, I sat down at a table and waited for a menu.
After 5 minutes of waiting, the employee finally asked me in Korean,
"What are you waiting for? Are you going to order? What do you want?"
(That's what it sounded like at least.)
I opened my hands like a book and asked, "Menu?"
She laughed and pointed at the walls which had Korean writing all over them
..and no pictures. Great. Should I point at something randomly or try to go
somewhere else? I pretended to scan over my many unintelligible options
for a while and then saw a poster with three bowls of porridge at the front
of the shop. Two of the bowls had objects floating in them that I couldn't
identify, so I pointed at the third bowl. My porridge was warm and hearty,
but very bland. I think next time I might slip some spices into my purse
and sneakily sprinkle when she isn't looking.

So my first meal on my own was successful,
somewhat embarrassing, but it could have been worse!
At least I didn't accidentally order something with riceworm pupas..
supposedly a common restaurant item.

Anyway, I am having fun already, but definitely feeling the culture shock.
I knew I would be in a foreign city surrounded by a foreign language,
but until actually experiencing it, I had no idea how completely foreign
I would feel. 

It is a very strange feeling to have a whole year abroad without a job to do.
My instinct in this frigid climate is to curl up and hibernate until spring,
so I am going to have to discipline myself to use each day to grow;
in knowledge, and hopefully wisdom,
in love and support of my husband,
and in godliness, through earnest study,
meditation, worship, and fellowship.

Looking forward to attending Seoul Covenant Church on Sunday!

Hopefully pictures will come soonish.


about
Peter and Kels

1 year in Seoul:

teaching,
learning,
exploring,

this is our adventure.